How To Cross From Polytechnic To University

Are you looking for a way to cross over from a polytechnic to the university? Or wherever switching from a college of education to the university?

In this article, I will discuss on the criteria for crossing over from a polytechnic to the university and for those who asked questions like “how can I cross over from a polytechnic to the university?” This article will be of great help as I will provide all you will need to successfully move from a Polytechnic to the university that’s if it’s possible or not.. let’s find out!!!

In a recap, This article is a plain and simple but comprehensive guide for candidates who wish to switch from their present polytechnics or colleges to universities. It will show you where, how, and when it’s possible or otherwise.

Also, it is pertinent to note that Crossing to a University and Switching to a university aren’t the same.

What do I mean? If you’re crossing to a university from a polytechnic or college of education, it means, probably after finishing your National Diploma (ND)/Higher National Diploma (HND) or Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE).

In this case, you can see that the decision to leave the former institution comes after completing the entire program.

Meanwhile, by switching on the other hand means leaving your polytechnic or college even before you complete the program – perhaps at ND 1, HND 1 or NCE 100 level. In order words, you’re considering not going on with your present program but moving into a university.

In this case, it is also clear that the decision to change to a university is not completely done. But is it possible?

How To Cross from A Polytechnic To A University.

How to Cross From Polytechnic to University

The only way of crossing over from polytechnic to the university is through direct entry.

Just like I explained earlier, This method of moving from a polytechnic or college of education into university is possible only after you’d completed your ND or NCE.

Here, after the first 2-year or 3-years in poly or college respectively, you can obtain a direct entry form to cross to university. HND holders can equally do the same.

To obtain this form, you must have your result or certificate at or make use of awaiting results however you must have completed the program. Then, obtain JAMB Direct entry form just at the same time students seeking admission through JAMB UTME are also applying. In order words, UTME and DE forms are usually on sales at the same time and close on the same date.

While filling the form, you have the option to choose two universities of interest. Although, you have a better chance with the first institution as no university is accepting the second choice these days especially for Direct entry admission candidates.

After this, you’re to obtain the Direct Entry (D.E) form of that university when it’s on sales or let’s say when they’re are selling post UTME. If the university conducts entrance/post utme exams and/or screening, you must take part as well.

Also, you will be required to do JAMB UTME regularization. Assuming all was done right and all requirements were met, you’d be offered a 200 level admission into your proposed course. Note that such a course has to be the same you did while in the polytechnic or college or most related one.

How To Switch to a University from a Polytechnic or College of Education.

Let’s say for instance you are in 100 level of your polytechnic course or NCE program, can you switch to a university and continue to 200 level? NO. But to switch to 100 level, possible!

Let me explain.

There is no means to move from a polytechnic or college at ND 1 or 100 level. No form or modality officially allowing students from these institutions to switch to universities of their choices.

Such an opportunity is only available to university students trying to switch from their present school to another university. Yes, a student form LAUTECH can switch to ABU through what is called inter-university transfer admission.

Here, a candidate will obtain a transfer form of the intended university and leave his present school. In most cases he can be admitted to the same academic level he was at the former university.

We can at this end concluded that, to cross from a polytechnic or college of education to a university is very possible using any of the means/method detailed in this post.

However, the only way to switch from the first level of HND, ND, or NCE to a university is if you quit the program and chase the university admission again through UTME or DE.

Leave a Comment